Friday, February 11, 2005

Tet & CNY - Tale of two cities

Just came back from Singapore, the nearby city :-) Because of Tet or Chinese New Year (CNY), I had some 10 days off, so I decided to catch a flight with Vietnam Airways to Singapore, visited 2 B-day parties, hung around at sentosas nice beaches, got a decent sunburn, went eating out in nearby Malaysia and celebrated the evening of Chinese New Year in Chinatown's beautiful roofbar.
In these days sleep was a rare good, so I was pretty exhausted when I flew back into Ho Chi Minh City. But the place offered some surprises to me.
First of all: the lady at the immigration smiled! Never seen something like this before in Vietnam. Probably it was due to the New Years Day...
Second: in the evening I went out whith some friends for having som drinks and doing the typical Tet thing. Cruising through downtown Saigon with the motorbikes, having some drinks again, having another ride.. maybe a seafood & beef hotpot in the city's outskirts about three in the morning. And so I really felt home in this city for the very first time. Seems to become the home away frome homehome (Sing-party-pore, you know?)
Talking bout my internship at Saigon times: quiet surprised I just realize in this very moment, that it's half over by now. My first article was published last week, and there's a second one in the pipeline so far. In about two weeks I am supposed to make a training for the sales agents about intercultural communication, especially how to deal with forign companies. Problem: most of the agents don't speak English. So by now I have no clue how to organize this training.
When the internship ends in 4 weeks, my German buddie "Loewi" comes to visit me in Nam and we will spend about a month traveling up North and finally fly into Singapore for some nice parties. And after? No f***ing idea. So if one of you has some good connections to advertising, marketing or media companies in the area: let's become friends!

3 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

Chris, you know, last Thursday I got to know a guy from the CosmopolitanFM here in JAK. He's Music Director, if u want, I'll ask him, if he needs more Germanz...

11:29 AM  
Blogger Rocknroll said...

hey chris, i know a guy here in egypt and he did an internship at the gtz in cambodia(is it right???)and it was very easy to get! sooooo do it! allah will help you!
maa salaama!
Solidarity with Israel!
Rock on!
Sascha

5:18 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

Ja..cool, du bist dann ja auch wieder in Singapore wenn ich da bin oderrrrr? Rocken wir dann mal zusammen? Such dir doch da ein Praktikum, ist gar nicht so schwierig, die nehmen sogar Leute wie mich:-)

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.